Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

“The Origin of Minds”: Theory of Other Minds

I was really intrigued by the theory of other minds (ToOM). It is my understanding that ToOM is like an empathetic ability to understand other feelings, emotions, sensations, and thoughts. I totally acknowledge that ToOM can be called “Mind Read.” Because I’ve met many people who pointed out my emotion or feeling in that moment in a very precise way. 

However, I always had the following question: Why are they able to put themselves in my shoes so skillfully? After reading the mechanism of ToOM, I had an assumption in terms of neuroscience that they might have strong neuron networks to grasp “stimulus (I’m looking at a candy),” “state change (I’m motivated to eat it),” “behavior (I’m eating it),” “outcome (I feel happy).” How much robust network do they create?    
Reference
The Origin of Minds: Evolution, Uniqueness, and the New Science of the Self

No comments:

Post a Comment