Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Research of Work Style Similarities and Differences between America and Japan form All Quadrants Perspectives (Draft)

Now, I work on my final paper in Research Writing class.  My research title is “The Research of Work Style Similarities and Differences between America and Japan form All Quadrants Perspectives.”  The overview of my research is following.

My research question is “What are the differences of work ethic between America and Japan?”  It is often said that there are a lot of business cultural differences between America and Japan.  In the modern business world, many companies expand their business internationally and a large number of multicultural companies are coming into existence.  My research topic is problematic because if international business persons don’t fully understand the business cultural differences among other countries, they will not be able to survive in the fiercely competitive global business world.  In order to work in that business situation, I suppose that it is very important for business persons to understand the business cultural differences among other countries.

Before coming to America, I worked in a global accounting firm as an international tax consultant for two years in Japan.  My company is famous for a strong global network and, in fact, the local office in Japan, which I belonged to, employed various foreign workers. For example, the top of my team was an Australian, my manager was Chinese, and my colleagues were an American and Asian Indian.  Therefore, I often felt the cultural differences in the business world while I was working in my company.  The different types of work ethic I found were, for instance, time management, attitudes toward their managers or colleagues, the idea about promotion, and corporate loyalty, etc.  Some of my colleagues struggled with the different business culture between Japan and their countries, and they sometimes complained to me and they felt stressful about Japanese business culture.  Based on my work experience, I became interested in this topic and I’d like to research the differences of work ethic between America and Japan.

The larger significance of my topic is to lead to understanding the different work ethic among different countries.  As pointed out earlier, our modern business world is becoming more and more international.  For that reason, my research topic will help an international business person to understand corporate diversity, to work in a different country’s company without complaints, and manage different foreign subordinates or get along with foreign bosses well.

No comments:

Post a Comment