Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Brain-Based Approach to Coaching: Neuroscience and Coaching

I read an interesting article “A Brain-Based Approach to Coaching” which introduces a unique coaching method based on neuroscience. To tell you the truth, I really expect the neurophilosophy class to give me a hint or a fresh idea which makes my coaching more effective and more functional. In that sense, this article provided me with unique perspectives about coaching. Basically, why do we need coaching? I came up with this fundamental question in my mind though I work as a coach now. As for this question, the author explains the need of coaching in the following way. For us, “change” is much harder than we think, and not only we but also our brains need coaches. This is a unique answer. 

In my view, each of us has inherent immune system to change. So, it is strenuous for us to change something which we want to alter. The author remarks that “change requires more than just scant thought; it requires ongoing attention and a significant effort of the will.” This statement implies an important thing. We need continuing awareness and conscious training in order to change something in us. However, we tend not be able to do that by ourselves. That is because our will power is not so strong as we think, and we have immune systems to change. In that sense, we need others’ help to change; that is coaching. Coaches encourage clients’ constant awareness and support their endeavor to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment