Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

“The Developing Mind”: Attachment Theory for Human Development

I came up with one thought after reading the description of attachment theory in this book. Siegel (1999) points out that it is important for parents to give enough attachment to their children, especially when their children are infants. Also, he describes the importance of attachment for infants in the following: “When children develop secure attachments to parents, these allow them to go out into the world to explore and develop relationships with others” (p. 71). 

I totally agree with his idea, but I think this theory is more versatile. In my view, something sacred phenomenon is occurring when parents and infants interact with each other. So, of course, the attachment to parents cultivates infants’ emotional and interpersonal competencies, but also I think that interaction with infants enriches parents’ emotional and interpersonal competencies. In that sense, I believe that attachment theory is not only for infants’ development but also for parents’ growth.
Reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment