Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Value of Sangha: Joined Zen Community at Pleasant Hill

I found a zen community at Pleasant Hill a few months ago, but I didn’t join this community because I had a class.  Happily, I don’t have any classes on Wednesday next quarter, so I thought I would be able to join this community. 

“Now is the time to act.”  This idea showed up in my mind, so I joined this zen community today.  Actually, I have practiced zen meditation for two years, but I have had no teachers and haven’t participated in a community.  I have practiced just by myself.  Some books were my teachers, so to speak.

I suppose if we practice by ourselves for a long time, we may be able to be a zen expert, but it’s significant that we join a community (Sangha).  That is because we can confirm each other’s degree of proficiency and share knowledge and experiences in a Sangha.

This is true in not only a zen community but also in various communities (sports community, learning communities: I think JFKU is the most wonderful “Integral Sangha” in the world).  Without doubt, a “healthy” community accelerates our learning. 

This community matches my feeling, so I’d like to continue participating in this Sangha.  By the way, am I a true Japanese?  I learn the Japanese wisdom and practice"zen" from foreigners.

No comments:

Post a Comment