Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Integral Arts: The Assessment of Human Consciousness Development

I just came up with an idea: “Oh, I loved impressionist masterpieces (e.g. Monet, Renoir) when I was young, but now I love surrealisms (e.g. Dali).  What does this change mean for my psychological growth?”

As Wilber demonstrates in “Integral Psychology,” paintings reflect the level of the artists’ consciousness development.  I think the preference of a viewer also reflects his or her psychological development. 

For example, for me, when I loved impressionist masterpieces, my center of gravity was at the transitional stage between formal thinking and vision logic (Wilber, 2000, p.213).  On the other hand, I love surrealisms now, so this means that my center of gravity may be at the late stage of vision logic…

This is my assumption.
Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment